May 6, 2011

How To Definitely Fix Skype Audio Distortion

I posted about my (failed) attempt to fix the Skype audio problem I am experiencing on my main machine. A nice commenter posted a link with a working solution. I republish this here so its preserved for all time (or at least till I need it again):

In home directory create a blank file name it .asoundrc, and paste it as follows

pcm.skype {
type plug
slave {
# normal ALC883
pcm "hw:0,0"
# skype wants 24 kHz recording input,
# but ALC883 doesn’t support that.
# do a rate conversion on the fly.
rate 48000
}
}


Restart Skype!! Solution worked in Ubuntu 10.10

Source: Distortion of sound in Skype 2.2

After a restart this did work fine on my Ubuntu 11.04 with Skype 2.2.0.25. Glad that this is now resolved as it's been an annoying problem.

UPDATE: With the new Skype 2.2.0.35 I do not need this anymore. It even causes problems if its still there. I just deleted the file and now Skype only has some distortion on start. After its started everything sounds like it should.

3 comments:

  1. ok...and how to i get to this home directory in order to create file?

    ReplyDelete
  2. open up a terminal and you are in your home directory. write "gedit .asoundrc" then copy and paste it in the editor window, save it, restart and you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks dude! :-) On 11.04 x64 works great to.

    ReplyDelete